Saturday, February 15, 2014

our valentine's day

So, I said it last year, but I'll say it again: I love Valentine's Day. I know people think that it is cheesy and commercial, but man. I love it so much. I am always pro-flowers, pro-chocolate, pro-pink, and pro-showing lots of love, so, a day that brings all of that together...it just gives me the warm fuzzies. And being a teacher makes it all about 1,000% better (but more on that in a bit).

This year we continued our tradition of cooking up a fancy meal together for our Valentine's date. I planned the menu last week on my grocery run (Humboldt Fog + crostini as an appetizer, steak + roasted tomatoes and asparagus for our entree, and strawberries + homemade whipped cream for dessert) and I was so excited about it. It is actually amazing that I made it until Friday before digging in! Especially with that cheese just staring at me in the fridge--so tempting! :)

James took care of the steak and they turned out perfectly. We topped them with a red wine + dijon sauce, and they were so festive and tasty. I roasted the veggies and whipped the cream, and we both drank too much wine. We spent the night watching silly television, chit chatting, and laughing a whole bunch. It was very mushy and sparkly and I can't wait to do it all again next year (even though both James and I are dragging today. James told me this morning that he is "too old to eat like that," which is pretty funny...but I'm pretty sure it was the wine that did us in).

I love my husband. I love our simple life together. Our house is always messy, we watch too much HBO, and we eat too much pizza, too, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I will always treasure these early years in our little shotgun and our special time together. Love you, Jameson. You are my favorite of the favorites.

P.S. Oh, and as I said earlier, Valentine's Day as a teacher is the greatest. Yesterday, I was showered with chocolates and cards from the happiest little peanuts and I got to hand out my own handmade hearts. We spent he day playing outside, doing a Valentine exchange, and playing Les Petites Graines in French, and they were all so well-behaved and excited. It was wonderful to be a part of their joy!

Aaaand, let me just say, the cuteness of the day was almost too much. One of my kiddos came to school dressed up in a shirt and tie and holding three carnations. As his mom got him out of his carseat, she whispered to me, "He insisted on the tie this morning! And I got those flowers for the teachers, but he keeps saying that they're for Emily..." and sure enough, as soon as he got through the gate, he ran up to Emily with a big smile and a triumphant, "I brought you these flowers, Emily!" and I just about died. He was so proud.

Valentine's Day, guys. The best.

1 comment:

  1. everything about this looks perfect. love love love.

    ReplyDelete